Use technology wisely.
Technology can be used to put you in danger, or to keep you safe. Since power and control are a part of partner violence, abusive partners frequently use technology to monitor and control those they abuse. Here are some things to help keep in mind as you use technology.
Do you have a feeling that you are being monitored? Here are some things to know.
- Someone can monitor your computer use without you knowing.
- Your internet “history” cannot be completely erased from a computer or phone.
- Deleting your history may be a red flag to your partner.
- Your cell phone use can be monitored.
- A global positioning system (GPS) can be placed on your car, or in your purse. They are built in to cell phones.
- Court records may be online and they may contain personal information.
- E-mail is like a postcard and can be intercepted.